Search This Blog

Friday, May 1, 2015

"Five For Friday" with Trond Fagernes of Mayflower Madame

Norwegian psychedelic outfit Mayflower Madame have made quite an impact in the shoegaze/post punk scene in recent months. Their debut E.P. "Into The Haze" is an excellent collection of dark sounds in the spirit of Echo & The Bunnymen, The Cure and Spacemen 3. Vocalist/guitarist Trond Fagernes shares some of his favorite songs in this weeks edition of "Five For Friday" but first enjoy the bands brand new single "Lovesick" from their upcoming debut album coming soon on CMM.

Sonic Youth – Kool Thing

Ridiculously kool tune. A guitar riff sent from heaven above combined with Kim Gordon’s grunting vocal at its best. The video even shows glimpses of Thurston Moore wearing a silver shirt. Wow. As probably all other bands with a foot (or at least a big toe) in the noise-rock and/or shoegaze-genre, Sonic Youth is one of our most “basic” influences.

Pulp – I Spy

There is only one Jarvis Cocker. There should be more. This is the best “pop” band I know of and “I Spy” is my favorite Pulp-song. It’s a shame they don’t have an official video for this one, but the live version is aaaalmost as good as the studio version. The way Jarvis delivers those dark, twisted lyrics is simply magnificent.

Clinic – If I Could Read Your Mind

Lean back and indulge yourself in this excellent piece of hypnotic psychedelia. Irresistibly catchy, yet ominously haunting – a combination that few others have done so well. Clinic is definitely one of my favorite bands.

DIIV – Doused

DIIV’s “Oshin” is in my opinion the best guitar record ever made. The Kurt Cobain-lookalike frontman Zachary Cole Smith must be the most ingenious songwriter since… well, Kurt Cobain! Enough said.

George Michael / Wham – Careless Whisper

A very GUILTY pleasure. What a song! No, I’m not kidding, I actually think this song is brilliant. Underneath the (extremely) cheesy layers there is delightful pop to be found. Never mind that the video makes me cover my eyes in embarrassment. This will be our first cover song. As soon as we find a sax player.

No comments:

Post a Comment