Search This Blog

Friday, March 6, 2015

"Five For Friday" with Mark Tseng Putterman of Porco/Rosso

Porco/Rosso is the music project of NYC based songwriter/producer Mark Tseng Putterman. His latest album "Innerventions" is an excellent collection of psychedelic indie pop. Mark shares some of his favorite songs for this weeks edition of "Five For Friday" but first enjoy his song "Love, Sick" which is the opening track off of "Innerventions".

D'Angelo - Really Love

I'll go out on a limb and call this my favorite track of 2014. Such a wonderfully constructed song, both in writing and production. That jazzy bass line, plucky acoustic guitar, swelling strings, and smooth falsetto. It's a sweet, sad tune that's been on heavy rotation since it came out.

Tame Impala (Erol Alkan Rework)- Why Won't You Make Up Your Mind

I'm usually not into these bonus track remix/rework things, but I'm glad I gave this one a shot. It's one of the few cases where I actually listen to the rework more than the original track. Erol Alkan masterfully reworks this psychedelic track, upping the "bite" on the guitar riff and layering it over a minimalist backbeat, leaving an infectious Ratatat-esque feel to it.

Elliott Smith - The Last Hour

This is a deep cut off of From A Basement On The Hill. I overlooked it for years, but it's a real hidden gem that I keep coming back to. Elliott's voice sounds so thin and wavering, weaving that delicate melody over the finger-picked verse. Love the acoustic guitar interlude, too.

Real Estate - Past Lives

Honestly, I'm very late to the game with this band. I've only just now given them a serious listen, after someone compared a track off my latest EP to their sound. It's right up my alley - simple, nicely crafted tunes, clean arpeggiated guitar and heavy reverbed vocals. I love the melody and lovelorn lyrics on this one

Takénobu - Shady Grove

A fresh interpretation of a classic 18th century folk song, from cellist Takénobu. I love the layered cello refrain, the simple orchestration, and his clean, no-frills vocal delivery.

No comments:

Post a Comment